Tragedy struck on Wednesday morning in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State after a 37-year-old man identified only as Shuaibu, got drowned in a well.
The incident happened on Kalejaiye Street in the Oke Ona community.
Our correspondent was told that the victim was with two other workers and had been employed to dig the well for a two-storey building which was still under construction when the incident happened.
PUNCH Metro learnt that they were digging the well when Shuaibu suddenly became tired and got trapped in the well.
An eyewitness, who pleaded anonymity, said the residents tried in vain to pull him out, but they could not and had to call upon officials of the Lagos State Fire Service who went down and recovered the corpse of the victim.
He said, “It was in the morning. The three of them were digging the well, which was for the owner of a two storey-building in the community.
“At a point, he became tired and got trapped in the well. People tried to remove him, but they could not.”
The Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Fire Service, Amodu Sakiru, said the Ikorodu Fire Station responded to a distress call.
He added that the body was handed over to policemen from the Ikorodu division.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, said preliminary investigation by the agency revealed the victim inhaled ammonia gas.
He said, “He must have inhaled ammonia gas, which usually makes the victim get dizzy and weak. And that was how he got trapped.
“We have held meetings with their association to always inform us whenever they want to dig a well. We do not mind providing them with breathing apparatus. This is because in every well, there is ammonia gas.
“Secondly, they are supposed to have a rope that they will tie to themselves which their colleagues can easily use to pull them up in the event of an emergency. Also, wells have different textures which determine the level of danger those digging the well are exposed to.”