President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday compensated each of the 15 families that lost their loved ones in the stampede that occurred during the 2014 Nigerian Immigration Service’s recruitment exercise in Abuja to the tune of N5m each.
A total of N75m was handed over to the 15 families during an emotion-laden event held inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja shortly after Jonathan returned to the nation’s capital city after his two-day visit to the South West.
The event took place barely one year after the incident that occurred at the National Stadium, Abuja on March 15, 2014.
“I promise this country that such (fatal recruitment exercise) will not happen again. This will be the last of such things,” Jonathan told the bereaved families who also got 35 automatic employment letters during the event.
The President had shortly after the incident last year, promised to employ three members each from the families of the deceased while cancelling the exercise.
Representatives of the deceased families got their cheques at the event while three family members were each given employment letters.
Jonathan said the monetary gifts given to the families of the deceased should not be seen as compensation because they were incapable of replacing the lives lost.
The Comptroller-General of the NIS, Mr. David Paradang, said that of the 45 candidates, 10 had to be replaced because they did not meet the criteria of the service.
Paradang explained that some of them were shorter in height than required, overweight or over-aged.
He said the 10 families had been asked to bring replacements for the slots.
He disclosed that some of the beneficiaries, who are graduates, were employed as Assistant Superintendent; those with National Certificate of Education were employed as Assistant Inspectors while those with the West African school certificate were employed as Immigration Officers 3.